Re: HYB: Vanity seedlings

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Vanity seedlings
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:33:04 -0000

I grew some seedlings from a VANITY X SATAN'S MISTRESS.  One was a
remarkably pretty greyed yellow with a lot of ruffling.  Poor plant
and it bloomed out.  The rest of the cross were an exceptionally
unattractive shade of lavender pink.  I had no compunctions at all
about tossing them and have no photos.  I wondered where the yellow
came from, but wondered if crossing pink with a dark, ruby red was
most likely to yield that yucky color more often than not.  With
LADY FRIEND X SATAN'S MISTRESS, I got knockout colors and many of
those are still hanging around.  LF has a rosy, pinkish tone quite
often in our sun.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA