Re: another freeloader

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] another freeloader
  • From: <willwarner@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:02:26 -0600

I like this seedling Donald.  The color is a little hard to tell from the
pic, but it kinda reminds me of Mescalero Chief, apendages arn't the same
though.  It looks like it made alot of stalks for you. I also like the second
dark colored one you posted, the form looks really nice on it.
What's the beard color on this one?  It's hard to get rid of one's that are
performing good in the garden, even if they are freeloaders.  I'll have to do
some culling this year myself, it's gonna be hard.
The only arilbred I have is Kalifa's Horn, it hasn't bloomed for me in the
4yrs I've had it.  Keeps growing and multiplying, but no blooms, hoping for
some this spring.  Will Warner

> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
> Date: 2004/12/04 Sat AM 08:57:04 CST
> To: <iris-photos@yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [iris-photos] another freeloader

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

I'm more ambiguous about tossing this THORNBIRD X unknown seedling.  It's a
super strong grower and I liked the horns or spoons that were so slender
they were almost filament like appendages.  Those appendages managed to be
there until the last 2-3 blooms in the clump.  Spaceage appendages tend to
disappear sooner than that here, often only showing on the first 1-2 blooms
on a stalk.  This is not my area of interest, but the strength and
consistency has put me in mind to try a cross here with another SA and see
what I get.  Any seedlings would more than likely be low priority if I had
arilbred seedlings needing the available space.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA