Re: RE: Suky

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: RE: Suky
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:33:03 -0500

Mike, apparently the genetics of a zonal are very closely tied to the plicata allelic series.  Chuck Chapman may be able to spell out the exact makeup, but what seems to be involved in a zonal is all or nearly all plicata alleles.
I ran down the family tree of Joe Ghio's new TIME ZONE this past week.  *Almost* everything in its pedigree is plicata.  The exception (primarily) is CITY LIGHTS.
CLARENCE, which some have interpreted as an amoena-zonal, others as an amoena-luminata, gives the same kind of results in plicata and luminata crosses as you found with SUKY.
For that reason I have not taken the "all plicata/luminata/glaciata" type results reported from such ambiguous irises as CLARENCE as hard data that they are amoena-luminatas rather than zonals.  Apparently zonals give the same results as luminatas.
Why the distribution of the anthocyanin pigments of a zonal (which closely resemble those of a luminata) are solid outside the white area, rather than vein and inter-vein variations, is something of a mystery to me.
A very close look at blown up photos of zonals shows the change-over from violet or blue to non-blue shows a feathering of color both into the light area of the violet, and white into the violet area.  The patterning of this feathering is exactly like that of a luminata.
I have a vague memory of something proposed--and I think this was Chuck Chapman's:
Skipping the "pl" part of the gene designation, let p=plicata, l=luminata and a=glaciata--
plla, paaa, and anything in between gives plicata or plicata-luminata combination
aaaa gives a glaciata
llaa gives a luminata; llla may also be luminata
llll gives a zonal
If this is true, zonal X zonal will give all zonals, zonals X luminatas will give all luminatas except for an occasional zonal, luminata X luminata will give luminatas, or luminatas and glaciatas.  I have an idea this may be correct.
It is a surprise that VICTORIA FALLS is in this mix.  Something similar was true of Tell Muhlestein's UTAH VALLEY.  It has been noted that in more than one zonal, and in UTAH VALLEY, the underside of the fall and the inside of the standard have or had a few plicata-like dots showing.
2 cents for what it's worth.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here