Re:PHOTO: A Historic: Gracchus

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:PHOTO: A Historic: Gracchus
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:03:45 -0500

Margie, GRACCHUS is nearly if not entirely pure *I. variegata* in makeup.  The species clones are quite short, actually almost the size of SDB's and occasionally into the BB range.
In the *pallida* and *variegata* hybrids, the pallida height tends to dominate.  A few such as NO-WE-TA and its offspring PINK RUFFLES are very short TB's if not BB's at best.  I'm growing a slightly bitoned blue unknown with *variegata* style branching and height, smaller and shorter than PINK RUFFLES.  I found this long after bloom season in the yard belonging to one of my wife's sons.
I saw the spent bloomstalk (I'm always on the lookout for short diploids) and asked Mike if I could have a start.  When later than afternoon some four years ago as we were preparing to leave, he handed me a sack.  I think he must have dug most of the clump.  The lovely little thing has thrived here.  It is the first short blue diploid I have run across.
The point being--short stature is normal to diploids heavy to *variegata* ancestry--and to many of the variant forms of *pallida* as well.
Neil Mogensen z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=317378454