Re: Luminata Genetics

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Luminata Genetics
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:35:46 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@c...> wrote:
> I see that Chuck Chapman was posting at about the same time I
was--or at least I started to, then got distracted by another issue.

> Chuck's interpretation is based on a lot more experience than I've
had.  I'll defer to him.  In any event--the point of agreement is that
zonals are a plicata variant.

> Neil Mogensen

The luminata gene is fascinating and I'm still struggling to figure it
out. My current thoughts is that the luminata pattern is formed from
three glaciata genes and one luminata gene. It was a long road to get
to that conclusion, but now seems obvious . I struggled to get the
results we have seen to fit into all sorts of combinations but had to
pass on the idea that it was two each of glaciata and luminata genes
when a glaciata x luminata produced both glaciata and luminata flowers
in equal proportions. The only combination that could produce this
result is one luminata and three glaciata genes. With this premise all
of the other results make sence.
The similarity of Suky and Clarence to luminatas and their offspring
results suggest that these "wide zonals" (as  i call them) are two
each of zonal and glaciatas. This still leaves the one glaciata and
three luminata combination and the flower with four luminata genes to
be identified. I had thought that the traditional zonals would be one
of these but the results of 'Sarah Lauren' ( a classic zonal pattern
with Victoria Falls as one paarent)x glaciata only gave 3 out some
thirty odd offspring as plicatas in crosses with two different
glaciatas. Could be that sone zonals are three luminata and one
glaciata genes but it looks like not all zonals are this genetic
combination.

I have some test crosses made two years ago0 but still waiting to get
results AI can use as some didn't germinate untill this fall after
three months in frige. They will go under lights as soon as the light
table is cleared off. Trust me, this is a big job.

Chuck Chapman

Chuck Chapman

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM