Re: Luminata Genetics

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Luminata Genetics
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:41:06 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "David Ferguson" <manzano57@m...>
wrote:
> more would-be luminatas.
>
> 'Fast Track' is Superstition's photo; not from this forum.
>

> A whole lot of the "zonals" seem to me to be luminatas (in fact most
of the ones I've seen).  Another expression seems to be shown in
cultivars like 'Splashcata', 'Jitterbug', 'Apache Rose', 'Chutney',
and 'Lightspeed'.

> Dave

This site contains the original defination of Luminata and all sorts
of intersting information on them including documation of crosses of
Luminata X glaciata producing luminatas, further evidence of three
glaciata genes and one luminata gene.

<www.worldiris.com/public_html/level2/Luminatas.html>

The following is the defiition

"....The definition of luminata as worked out by the Panel reads,
"Luminata is a genetically reproducible anthocyanin pattern having its
color present in an irregular marbling in the central areas of the
petals and absent in the peripheral areas. The marbling effect is
produced by non-anthocyanin veining (white or yellow), and there is no
anthocyanin in the hafts, the stylearms or the beard." It is the pale,
or "lighted" effect at the heart of the luminata variety that gives
the name its validity. It is a pattern quite distinct from one which
has the marbling overlaid with the etching or dotting of the plicata
pattern, a combination type from which it has not been adequately
distinguished in terminology, color classification, or genetic analysis."

None of the examples you posted meet this definition. They all have
anthocyanin in area around the beard and in haft area. Some have
marbaling but not as in the definition  or in centre of falls.

This site also has a list of zonals with photos, this list includes
Victoria Falls, Clarence, Suky and Violet Music.

Ketith Keppel also posted an article on luminatas on iris-talk on Feb
03, 2003. Relevant part is pasted below

"   In luminatas, there is a wash of color (the water-soluble ones, as
with plicata) over the blade of the fall.  There is a tendency for
this wash to be paler, or missing from the veined areas.  There is a
tendency for the petal margins to be devoid of the water-soluble
pigments.  This is very obvious in some
varieties, such as Spirit World, very subtle in others.  There is
ALWAYS a clearly defined area around the beard which has NO
water-soluble pigment, not a single dot, and the beards carry no blue
or purple coloration.  Style arms carry little to no water-soluble
pigment.  New variations on the pattern are coming.  The unmarked
ground area around the beard is expanding, forming larger and larger
blazes, or extending as a spear pattern.  The pale veining on an
almost-completely marked fall is changing to broad veining or banding,
with "islands" of pigment rather than an almost solid wash."

With the three known  plicata alleles  Plicata (pl), luminata ( pl-u)
glaciata (pl-a) ( not counting the Pl gene which if present once
eliminates plicata pattern and can be considered fourth allele) we
have 15 genotypes. Most of these have not been given a name and many
are fairly similar to each other and some have coresponding
non-plicata look likes. As I have discovered, the Anthocyanin
Enhancemet gene can interact with other pigment distribution genes
such as the plicata series, giving different phenotypes ( appearance)
to the same genotype.

I hope to eventually identify each genotype with its phenotype. This
is a huge project. I have been getting help from various hybridizers
who have been collecting data from plicata crosses and hope to as much
help as possible from others making crosses involving zonals,
luminatas, glaciatas, broken colours etc.

Hope this information helps distinguish luminatas for you.

Chuck Chapman