Re: Re:HYB:Zonals:Matrix

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re:HYB:Zonals:Matrix
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:47:04 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2004 4:57:50 PM Central Standard Time, neilm@charter.net writes:

LIGHT BEAM from Lesley Blyth is a plicata, but one has to look close to see the markings--from Beverly Sills and Broadway.

I've read about LIGHT BEAM for years, but it is new in my garden this year.  It's the first time I've tried to grow it.  If I'm not mistaken, there is plicata in the background of BS thru Vanity?  (Old research memories)

If I understand what I think I've been learning, plicata is recessive to self.  So in the cross of a self x plicata, in order for plicata to be expressed in the seedlings, the self would have to pass on plicata genes.  Therefore BS (above) would have to 'carry' plicata although it shows no signs of being plicata?

Now, back to Matrix which is Violet Miracle X Brother Carl.  If my understanding is correct, both VM & BC would have to carry plicata genes for Matrix to express plicata, even lightly?  Am I still on track?

Knowing that zonals are a form of plicata clears my thinking considerably.  I'd memories that said they were not plicata.  But I can discard that thinking.

Laced Cotton crossed with a plicata did give me plicatas.  Lemon Reflection (with plicata history) has not give one plicata when crossed with a plicata (1812.) Two reddish/brown/plum plicatas produced a yellow (1511-1RE) (in archives) that only shows plicata in dark brown lines in the throat.

Are my deductions correct up to this point? (Basic though they may seem to others!)

I'll never fully understand all the different things that can affect plicatas, but I'm more knowledgeable on the subject than I was a few weeks ago.  Thanks.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives