Re:PHOTO:RE: Canadian Streaker Babies

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:PHOTO:RE: Canadian Streaker Babies
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 04:09:34 -0000

Merry Christmas to all

I usually get some variagated as well as a few just white. The number
of white is very unusual. I had been crossing onto very white flower
buds/stalks and perhaps that is why so many are white .
How do you do soft tissue grafting?

Someone had suggested spraying with a weak sugar solution and that may
work.
I've also thought of spaying with a spray of blended iris leaves,
grafting a piece of green leaf on ( if I knew how)
Scratching leaves and then spraying with chlorophyl  and hope some
takes as in bone marrow transplant.

Some already are starting to turn brown on tips of leaves.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@c...> wrote:
> Merry Christmas, Chuck, to you and yours from Dorothy and me....
>
> and about those white babies....my very first cross, back in the
late forties, of Purissima X some blue--possibly Lent A. Williamson
(blue, sorta) had a no-chlorophyll baby.  I wilted when it died....I
didn't realize the metabolic role "green" played, but soon learned.

> Over the years, there've been others, one here, one there.  None of
them ever lived long enough to develop any chlorophyll, unless that
tinge of yellow was a trace.

> When I started making crosses with ROMANTIC EVENING, however, about
one out of ten of the seedlings from some crosses were no-chlorophyll
sorts.  I believe others have experienced the same thing.

> None have ever been chimeras, but I've read your posts about those
avidly.  I am astonished the proportion of albinos is as high as it is
from CANADIAN STREAKER.  One would think an iris with half its leaf
tissue green would give half green offspring, more or less.  Obviously
not!

> I wonder if a bud-style graft into a green-bearing rhizome of a
small but actively growing plant is possible...you've probably tried
it.  If the graft, or in-budding, were successful, one would think the
necessary nutrients would continue to be supplied to the seedling.
...Just a thought.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM