HYB: REB: seedlings

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: REB: seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:13:23 -0500

This didn't make it to the archives & I got a request to repost -
apologies to those of you who will now be seeing this ugly thing twice.

Now that it's been open a few days, the variegata has relaxed into a
form I like better (but too narrow) and is kinda growing on me...

Maiden bloom.  Both of these had enough increase left in the ground that
I was sure they would survive without these pieces.  Just in case.

The variegata was a complete surprise.  I dont' like that mess on the
hafts, but the color is a knockout - butterscotch standards and velvety
dark falls.  I seem to be breeding reblooming variegatas. ?? how did
that happen...

The pollen parent is so ugly that I have never taken a photo, but will
do that next spring.  Extremely vigorous and healthy, tall stalks, good
branching and bud count, large blooms, floppy, narrow, reflexed falls,
base color is dull yellow, light mud colored wash on the falls.  Bee
baby from PINK FORMAL. My guess is pollen parent was one of the yellow
rebloomers from Bernice Miller or Lloyd Zurbrigg, prime suspect is
SPIRIT OF FIJI (branching & bud count, plant habit, plus a big clump
full of bloom and pollen right next to PF).

Pod parent is IC1 - reblooming amoena with short stalks that stunt if
weather isn't ideal, heavy branching and bud count - most has been
around 30.  From IMMORTALITY X CELEBRATION SONG.

The yellow is HARVEST OF MEMORIES X VIOLET CLASSIC.  Flowers are small,
typical problem with HoM seedlings.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8