OT: Doings in the garden

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] OT: Doings in the garden
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:12:06 -0500

Since I am still using film, not digital, and am a skinflint, it's been just now that I have used up the last of this year's 36-frame rolls and had it developed.  (The developing adventure, by the way, was incredible, but I'll leave that for another message (if even then)).   So, it came time to refurbish the winter frame in which I let the seeds germinate.  Here's how it looked in May, before I took out the pots and set out the seedlings.  On the left, in the frame, can be seen some holdover aluminum loaf pans with mostly ungerminated seeds from previous years.  On the right are the 1-gallon pots (about 50 of them) to which I have switched, giving the seedlings more room for root development and drainage.  But they also sit up much higher, so the frame lids have been replaced with a temporary framework of bird netting, which keeps out the critters, but is a pain to fool with.  The frame is 10 feet long and a bit more than 3 feet wide.  The plastic monstrosity in the background is a kids' play tower which the neighbors finally dismantled a couple of months ago.  The kids have outgrown it.  If I don't run out of RAM, I'll be posting a little sequence of developments in the garden this year.  --  Griff

JPEG image