Re: Re: CULT: doings in the garden

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: doings in the garden
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:22:22 -0500

Linda  --  The seeds are planted in 1-gallon growers' pots in October and
placed in the winter frame with an inch of pine straw on top of them.  I
make sure they are kept moist during the winter, watering if there's no
precipitation for a week.  They begin sprouting in March and I keep them
moist on a weekly basis.  Every 2 weeks, I water them with MiracleGro.
That's it.  The only problem I have to guard against is slugs.  Once the
sprouts are about an inch tall, I begin sprinkling the pots with epsom salts
and repeat that after every rain or watering.  That keeps the slugs out.

Speaking of a lotta work, how about your hot tub for seedlings?!  Wow!

--  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia