Re: CULT: Is this weird, or what?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT: Is this weird, or what?
  • From: Silversity@comcast.net
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 04:21:53 +0000

Griff
That is great information!  Thanks so much!  I am now armed for any such
follies!  Hope you have a great Holiday season!
Linda

From: "jgcrump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
> Linda  --  Yes.  It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Sometimes the
>stalk
> rots, but not usually.  If the stalk doesn't rot, the pod will mature.  The
>seed
> pod needs to be drawing moisture, but I believe that the nutrients are
>already
> in the stalk.  Another trick I use is to stick the stalk in a raw potato.
>To do
> this, I use a screwdriver or other tool of the same diameter as the stalk
> punch a hole in the potato so that it fits tight.  I tend to use this
>method
> when someone accidentally breaks a pod off and there is only a short bit of
>stem
> left.  A large potato provides a solid base for a stem of a few inches in
>height
> and also provides nutrients, I believe.  This can also be resorted to if a
>stalk
> sitting in water rots.  Cut it off well above the affected area and stick
>it in
> a potato.  If the rot hasn't spread up, it will mature.  --  --  Griff

Linda  --  Yes.  It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Sometimes the stalk rots, but not usually.  If the stalk doesn't rot, the pod will mature.  The seed pod needs to be drawing moisture, but I believe that the nutrients are already in the stalk.  Another trick I use is to stick the stalk in a raw potato.  To do this, I use a screwdriver or other tool of the same diameter as the stalk to punch a hole in the potato so that it fits tight.  I tend to use this method when someone accidentally breaks a pod off and there is only a short bit of stem left.  A large potato provides a solid base for a stem of a few inches in height and also provides nutrients, I believe.  This can also be resorted to if a stalk sitting in water rots.  Cut it off well above the affected area and stick it in a potato.  If the rot hasn't spread up, it will mature.  --  --  Griff