Re: HYB: CLOWN PANTS (for Loic) 3

  • Subject: Re: HYB: CLOWN PANTS (for Loic) 3
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 03:51:57 -0800 (PST)

Hello Donald,
That's a Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis). I started
my first ancient ancestors of this guy, probably 25-30
years ago. It "volunteers" almost to the point of
being a weed; but I like the smell so much, I always
leave a few, here and there. This one hitchhiked from
my parents home to a friends home -- probably along
with the CLOWN PANTS. That clump of CLOWN PANTS was
one of five planted there -- each clump came from a
single rhizome/fan. If I'm remembering right (and this
was several years back), I transplanted those rhizomes
in February or March and what your seeing is the
increases of two growing seasons from the single fan.
In other words, no problem with increase ;0)
Incidently, my friend's children helped me do some
hybridizing on those clumps -- we crossed them with
KUPARI pollen. Those seedlings should all bloom next
year (one has already bloomed).
Take care, Tom

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.