Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 3:54 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] G'day from "Down Under"

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the group.  It is a great bunch of iris lovers.
It is so nice to get up in the morning, turn on the computer, and hear from people all over the U.S. and the globe.  Today it is Australia and Holland.  Some days it includes the Ukraine.  It is fun.
Have a good day from Southern California.
Jan in Chatsworth

Mark & Wendy Lazzaro <mark.wendy.lazzaro@bigpond.com> wrote:
G'day all,
I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and have built up the courage to introduce myself.
My name is Mark and I reside on the far South coast of New South Wales in Australia.
I've grown bearded iris now for six years, more seriously for the last three. I made my first hybridizing attempts in 2006 and these seedlings are now being grown out and will hopefully flower next Spring (2008).
I guess you could say I've been infected with a big dose of "iris virus". I attended the Australian Iris Society - NSW Region Annual Show and joined up as a member. Whilst at the show I had the privilege of talking to Grahame Grosvenor regarding iris hybridizing.
I also had an opportunity recently to visit the Tempo Two Nursery and to speak with Barry Blyth about hybridizing.
Both Grahame and Barry were receptive to a novice's questions and have encouraged me to give it a go.
As well as bearded iris, I like the PCI's and hope to obtain some soon and will dabble in a little hybridizing with these as well.
I'm a fan of Brad Kasparek's broken colour iris, and this is where my personal hybridizing program will be concentrated.
I've enjoyed seeing all the photos of the seedlings posted, and hope to have something of my own to share with you all in the future.