Re: OT: vine hazzard resend

  • Subject: Re: OT: vine hazzard resend
  • From: "David Ferguson" <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 01:53:53 -0700

Ann, I think you nailed it.  It is definitely a Honeysuckle (the paired berries and opposite leaves are a good clue), and Lonicera japonica is a good bet.  It could be another species though, there are several native and introduced to choose from, .

Christian, I doubt it will hurt the horses (and the birds probably love it), but I don't know for sure.  We never worried about Honeysuckle and livestock when I was a kid.  However, my Grandmother told me the berries were poisonous (but I never got sick when I ate a few - probably it's a wonder I ever grew up with the things I tried).  Don't think she really knew one way or the other.  I still hear and see mixed comments on the toxicity of the berries, but don't recall anything about the plants themselves.  I've heard of people actually making jelly out of some species.  Anyway, wouldn't hurt to find out for sure.  There are online lists of poisonous plants, and your extension agent should know, at least if it's a common plant in your area (and it probably is).

Good luck,
Dave Ferguson