Re: Digest Number 4702

  • Subject: Re: Digest Number 4702
  • From: "Jan Sparks" <jansparx@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:27:33 +1100

Loic wrote:
Celsius has given Be my Angel, Frisk Me, Hum, It's a Giggle, Minted Gold, Sharp Dart, Shinding, Terse Verse.
Shindig has given Awake, Mambo, Rumble, Storm Song, Tickle the Ivories, Whydidi.
Terse Verse has given Guise, More Drama, Posing and Uppity.
Many of these have gone on to produce lovely seedlings, with good substance, lovely flower form and interesting colouration. I have had AB crosses with Hum & It's A  Giggle, nice seedlings from Celcius, and plenty in the making from most of the others.
I also have pods on PINK PELE this year and have used Cat's Eyes extensively on SDB's IB's & TB's as it is very fertile and has a good spot pattern, and I love the colour.
Besotted and Flavours, from (Zing Me X Knight Templar),
Ingenious, from (Zing Me X Imprimis),
Lyrique, from (Zing Me X Divine),
Zingerado, from ( Zing Me x Silverado),
Zinglet, from Zing Me X Specularor)

These are the ones that lose fertility in the second generation. I have set pods on Ingenious & Lyrique, with a few seeds to the pod, and fairly poor germination EXCEPT for those with an AB pod parent. (one of Sam Fankhausers seedlings) I have had no success setting pods on their seedlings. I will persist next year, as one of the AB crosses interests me.
I have had a little more success with Eye Wonder (Celcius X Aura Light) but it doesn't seem to carry the spot pattern.
Attached are INGENIOUS X AB Seedling - I tried to set pods on the many blooms, and failed. Barry suggested I just use lots of different pollens with the hope of getting even one pod. No luck!
IRISH DARLING - another Barry Blyth IB exhibiting the spot pattern. I will look up the cross when I can find the catalogue. This one bloomed in winter, and I had no pollen to put on it.
Cheers, Jan in Oz

JPEG image

JPEG image