Re: Pagan Dance

  • Subject: Re: Pagan Dance
  • From: "Jan Sparks" <jansparx@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:07:49 +1100

Hi Folks,
I don't believe that Pagan Dance carries the pumila spot pattern. I think it is more likely that the Pagan Dance pattern is just a variation of the bicolour pattern, or possibly has some influence from AB's which have played a part in the past in Barry's breeding lines.
It has crossed my mind that this pattern might somehow combine in some way or be enhanced by the pumila spot pattern, but that's probably a bit far fetched.
My own Lyrique seedling of which I sent a photo, probably owes it's spot pattern to the AB parent, although I could be wrong, and it is pleasing to see a similar pattern in Loics seedling.
I used the AB seedling to see if that would retain a good fall pattern on the seedlings, and so far it has proven to do that. Most of my pumila spotted fertile IB's crossed to AB's have given me tall, spindly seedlings with strongly AB characteristics, and very little branching. The lyrique seedling, while very straight in the stalk, produced good bud counts, and more typical IB form. I will persevere with it, and probably repeat the original cross.
Cheers, Jan