OT: Going to the dogs: Re: Cult: Biggest Dog-

  • Subject: OT: Going to the dogs: Re: Cult: Biggest Dog-
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:49:58 -0500

Each breed has its specialty.  The big dog reminded me of the 1968 Russian production of War and Peace that I just finished watching on DVD (5 discs!).  Among the several things in it that were not in the Hollywood production (which I also thoroughly enjoyed) was a hunting sequence that would never have made it onto American screens.  The hunt was on horseback, with the pack of little hounds preceding the riders.  It looked so English, except for the fur hats and heavier boots, that I was surprised, not thinking of the Russians as having mounted fox hunts.  In fact, a fox came out of a thicket, but was not pursued. Then, the scene switched to a group of riders on the crest of a hill flanking the hunt  --  and the borzois (Russian wolf hounds) on their long leashes.  Ah, this was what I had anticipated.  In a moment, they were let loose, their bodies elongating like cheetahs, racing swiftly down the slope.  The little hounds, I gathered, picked up the scent, and the borzois pursued by sight.  The capture of the wolf was not a scene for tender hearts, but the camera study of the captive wolf's eyes was masterful.   I recommend this film highly if one wants to see how Tolstoy's countrymen portrayed his novel.  --  Griff