Re: HYB: Infernal fire

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Infernal fire
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:43:16 -0000

This is an interesting result.

I did mention awhile back that it may be possible to get a non plicata
broken colour, if you had a recessive reduction of anthocyanin
involved. This may very well be that situation. This would imply that
`Pure As Gold' is a recessive reduction of anthocyanin. Anyone have
any evidence one way or the other? As least there doesn't appear to be
any plicata genetics in Pure As Gold

Thus using Infernal Fire in a cross to produce broken colour may not
work with a plicata cross. Or at least not as well as crossing to
something that is rra genetically (recessive reduction of anthocyanin).

It is possible to get no BC from a cross of two BC iris.

I'm backing what Mike said re choosing a plicata with excellent bud
count and branching in attempting to produce a BC rather them
crossing two BC plants with poor bud count and branching as well as
the fact that a large number of BC plants just donèt have good
hardiness in cooler climates.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@...>
> Hello Anja,
> here is the link
> to a mail i recently sent about a child of Infernal Fire:
> Wizard of Odds = Pure as Gold X Infernal Fire from paul Black that
should be registered this year.
> The same day, i also sent another sdlg from Paul that is from
tollally different origin:
http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/oct08/msg00211.html andQ17CR =
(End of Summer x Mariposa Skies) X I'm Back.
> Loïc
> zone 7 - The Nederland
> Email : tasquierloic@...
> www.le-jardin-des-deux-bons-diables.com
website where I can see more of his irises?
> If it is fertile (unfortunately it did not set any pods for me
this year) I would love to see some seedling pictures of it as a pod
or pollen parent. Anybody have a seedling picture?