HYB: Megglethorp X Double Scoop
  • Subject: HYB: Megglethorp X Double Scoop
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 06:13:26 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Linda. Actually this one is pretty far down on my priorities/favorites list, but it was interesting in that in was the only surviving seedling from the cross and it preserved the IB pod parent's spot. The spot is puzzling to me too. This seedling has almost an exact combination of the spot of 'Megglethorp' overlaid on the basic coloring of 'Double Scoop' (which has the purple fading to the edges coloring on its falls). I didn't have any real goal in mind when I did the cross other than trying to get the spot into a tetraploid line. So I guess it's a step in the right direction. I still wonder if there is some different anthocyanin _expression_ going on in the reddish spot area in addition to the yellow (that you mentioned) that is surely there.
With so many other "irons in the fire" this one probably won't get much of my attention but if it has enough gumption to survive long enough, I'm sure I'll keep putting pollen on it.
Thanks for your interest, Tom

From: Linda

Very nice, Tom.

Again raises my question of how shoulder/bib pattern is different from
pumila spot pattern. This one seems to have a 'double' spot/shoulder,
with big "yellow" shoulder overlay on "blue" spot, tho the blue spot
looks more like a wash that fades towards the edge.

I like it.

Linda Mann
east TN