Re: Mtn. Sunrise X Raspberry Swirl seedling
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Mtn. Sunrise X Raspberry Swirl seedling
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:23:29 -0000

Resending as it didn't go through yesterday. Some messages are not comming through in posts, but show up in achives, or in yahoo but sometimes not in both.

Lovely colours Mike. Hope it is a rebloomer.

A maiden bloom in fall does suggest that it could be a rebloomer, especially with Mountain Sunrise in parentage. But, a lot of maiden bloom in fall are not necessarily a rebloom genetics controlled. There is a defect in vernalization process, connected with rebloom genes (actually defective bloom genetics) that can result in a seed that is stratified, carry that as vernalization through germination. This seed statification is usually reset back to non vernalized state when seeds germinate. With some bloom defects, this is not reset. Thus plant acts as if it has been vernalized. But defect does not necessarily carry into rebloom, but these plants are certainly more likely to have rebloom genetics, and be rebloomers.

Ther also is a second possibility resulting in fall bloom in maiden plants. this is "Facilitated Vernalizaton" bloom. This is something that will be seen in California conditions much more often then in other locations. While most iris oncers are "obligate vernaliation", I suspect that not all are. "Obligate vernalization" means that plant can't ever bloom unless it has undergone vernalization. "Facilitative vernalization" means that plant will bloom in spring, at normal bloom time when it has been vernalized. If it hasn;t been vernalized, it will still bloom, but much later in the season. When a normal oncer, reaches maturity, it doesn't grow any further. Increase will start growing after bud set, but main fan will not grow. If this maturity is reaches early in growing season, or if it has an extended growing season (say for example four months) after reaching maturity, then a "FacilitativeVernalization" plant will bloom even if it hasn't undergone vernalization. Thus some plants will have maiden bloom in fall when triggered by short nights, without ever having undergone vernalization. This will only occur wher there is a long growing season and plant reaches leaf count maturity and have a long growing season after this. This is often seen in SDB plants, where they have been started indoors and planted in spring. Even in colder climates they will reach maturity in time for "faciltative vernalization" to take effect. In colder climates this "facilitative Vernalization" won't likelybe seen again. In California weather it can occur in subsequent years, as long as plant reaches maturity and gets extended growing conditions after maturity is reaced.

More then you wanted to know I'm sure.

Chuck Chapman