AIS: January Bulletin
  • Subject: AIS: January Bulletin
  • From: "Kelly D. Norris" <kellydn@frontiernet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 20:06:38 -0600

{I’m cross-posting this in case some missed it.  I’ve only received ONE submission so far.  Come on folks, share your thoughts and photos!  If we can’t get at least a few to run here in January, we’ll postpone the debut until April when maybe more folks will be in a “springy” mood. ;) }

Hello fellow iris lovers!

Starting with the January 2010 issue of the Bulletin, you’ll notice a few changes.  First, I’ll take over as editor full time.  Terry Aitken will remain managing editor and resident sage advisor.  Second, we’re changing the format!  At the November board meeting the AIS higher-ups voted to expand the size of the Bulletin to an 8.5 x 11 size publication.  Our focus as an editorial team is to deliver you the best magazine for iris lovers that we can come up with.  To do that, we’ll need your help.

In light of that, I’m implementing a new section called “In Your Backyard”.  Each issue you, your fellow AIS members, and I want to hear about what’s going on in your garden.  What varieties grew well this season?  What turned out to be your favorite cultivar?  Did you grow a new species and have tremendous success?  Did a few must-haves become must-composts?  Tell us your garden news!  Consider this your invitation for the January 2010 issue.  I’m not sure how many we’ll have room to publish (maybe 6-8 per issue), but send away and we’ll “bank” them.

Here’s the redux:

1)      Send to kellydn@frontiernet.net your short (100-250 words) report about what’s growing on in your neighborhood (like that gardenesque humor?)

2)      Send along a photo of yourself or of your garden (must be publishable quality, 300 dpi resolution, and a JPEG or TIFF)

3)      Have all kinds of fun with this and tell your iris friends who aren’t on iris-talk!  Let’s see where this goes!

Kelly D. Norris

Farm Manager, Rainbow Iris Farm

Editor, Bulletin of the American Iris Society

Bedford & Ames, IA

Zone 4b/5a

Read my blog at: http://www.kellydnorris.com

Twitter: rainbowirisfarm