Re: HYB: seed pots
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:04:55 -0500 (EST)

Donald,

    Three weeks ago, I had arilbred seeds starting to germinate in small pots in my seedboxes outside.  Here on the high desert plateau of eastern WA state, snow came 2 weeks ago (followed by temps of -2 degrees), and then I was in the hospital for 2 stays in those 2 weeks.  The first snowfall melted, but then during these 2 weeks, it started again.  We now have had snowfall every day for 3 days running.  My only hope is that the small seedlings will be okay under the snow, as it seems to be a good protective mulch for them.  The seedlings had 2 or 3 small true leaves and that might just be enough to keep them going.  I probably should cut back on my hybridizing, as I have a small backyard of raised beds that contain between 450 and 500 iris, including seedlings.  I had to chuckle with your and Betty's comments on the number of seeds you had planted.  Most of my crosses were for arilbreds or pure pumilas this year, though I did some experimental crosses, and that's where I might be in trouble.....A cross of 'Ben A Factor' (MTB) X 'Zerzura' (AB) produced one pod that had 92 good seeds!  I crossed the MTB 'Orange Starlet' X the IB 'Minion', and one pod had 77 good seeds.  A third cross of Don Spoon's SDB 'Teagan' X my pumila seedling ('Tiny Temptress' x Jpum21) gave a pod with 81 good seeds.  I think sticking with arilbred crosses and crosses for regelia hybrids is more realistic, as the number of seeds produced is much less.  (I have no idea what to do if the seeds from those 3 crosses alone pretty much all germinate.  (Build seedling beds on the roof?????)

Elm