Re: HYB: seed pots
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:17:29 -0500 (EST)

I guess that depends on your definition of "starters." This represents 42 crosses.  My signature used to state "You can't plant them, if you don't cross them!"  (my system doesn't provide a signature now.)

<<That's a lot for starters, Betty! >>
It might help to know about the past four years.
2007-0 crosses
2008-16 crosses
2009-6 crosses

When I get a chance to expand some colors or patterns, I have to go for it.  In some cases, I'm trying to develop new lines.  (still)  In other cases, I'm combining lines. The 42 crosses represent several areas where I've been a bit lax in recent years.  I've not worked on plicatas much for several years and there are eight crosses in this group.  Probably more plicata seeds than anything else, over a quarter of the total.  Lots of variegata crosses and red selfs.  Eight crosses with 'Renown.'  I was just happy to be able to make the crosses.

It's unlikely I'll be able to get them all planted this coming spring.  I do hold them over.  I plant according to my own priorities and some may not get transplanted at all if I decide the cross isn't what I need.

These are mum pots, approximately 8 x 5.  Shallow.  Twenty-five years ago, I was getting them used and free from a nursery--mums that died.  They don't dry out as fast as the smaller pots.  I cover the area with black plastic so grass isn't a problem.  The plastic also holds some water and helps keep the soil a little wetter than usual.  The chicken wire keeps the animals out, except mice, and can stay until the seedlings are rather tall.  Once the pots are frozen,  I'll put a straw cover over the whole batch.  Letting the soil freeze first will keep the mice out!

I aim for approximately 25 seed per container.  If I have a 35 count it could go either way--if it's a really important cross I'll break it down into 2 pots, but otherwise up to 35 will usually go in one pot.

This year I'm trying something a little different (for me) in that I've spread out the seed so there's distance between each.  I plant all seeds, but I don't always transplant all of the seedlings from one cross.  I want to be able to remove a seedling without disturbing the others.  In the past, I clumped the seeds, but I'm tired of digging the entire batch and having to reset the left overs in the pot.  I don't usually pitch any at this point.

Last fall, my routine was messed up and I had to put the straw on the pots too early.  Mice bedded up in my pots. When I was finally able to check them in mid March, I was just thankful they'd left most of my seed even thought they'd moved them around a lot!

 We all develop systems that work for us.

 Betty W.