First I apologize for the duplicate post. My computer is getting a lot like
me. Old and tired and sometimes it forgets what it's doing in the middle of
the task. So when I sent the message, it locked up. After 20-30 minutes it
advised me I needed to restart the page or just forget it. Since I didn't
want to have to compose the message, I allowed it to reload the webpage and
then I got informed the message had been sent. Apparently twice.
I was pointed out offlist that the previous photo didn't show any sprouts.
True. I move them from the stock trough to the old galvanized tubs. Sort
of trade places with the pots, I guess. Keeps the sprouts all together
until enough have sprouted they are everywhere.
Betty, I keep them enclosed because those on the ground are more susceptible
to squirrels, mice, even in the past, armadillos. The dogs themselves that
keep the armadillos at bay are prone to knock them over if they get after a
mouse or lizard that decides to hide among pots on the ground. So it's just
a form of protection. It possibly helps germination when the sun hits the
sides. They are filled with compost and soil and the pots rest on that. I
think the warmth is collected underneath the pots in that fill dirt.
If you can obtain good clay pots 'made in Italy' the freeze fracturing
happens very seldom. Unfortunately those are more expensive (though a case
where you get what you pay for) and not readily available in my area. In
fact, clay pots aren't especially available to me even among the inferior
brands. So I have some broken pots due to freezes every year because I have
a wide assortment of grades on hand. I kill things growing in plastic pots,
so they aren't a good option for me.
Your point about a different class is highly relevant. I wouldn't do this
on TB crosses. There the germination has been sufficient simply planting in
the fall and waiting 'til spring. They just tend to be better about
germinating. It's true that planting fresh and keeping them in the fridge
has resulted in a higher percentage, but the percentage otherwise was
acceptable. Last year the two pods I planted were handled that way. I had
upwards of 60% germinated on both and all those plants came within a two
week window. Compare that to some ABs that sprouted over a period of 6
months and still didn't give that high a return. Also I think my weather in
the winter is conducive to having seeds germinate over the winter months.
After being threatened with 21F earlier this week, today it was above 70F
and tomorrow will likely be in the mid to upper 70s. Days with those temps
are really more common than the cold spells here and the seesaw temps tend
to show a flush of sprouts on the upswings.
Also, like Elm, I need to cut back or simply eliminate about 75% of what is
growing out the garden so I can have their space. My program of using
unbalanced parents has caused an accumulation of plants that I hadn't really
figured into the equation. Those plants take patience and time and lots of
retries before you get viable seed and I've grown a lot of them. I have
started eliminating some, but there are still too many. Still for all the
number of pots, due to the plants I use there will be many pots that never
give me anything and still more where a single plant showing up will be more
than I could hope for. Fortunately, some of those are already up. For the
number of seeds planted, the 50 seedlings showing, even counting an
additional 7 that died, isn't a good start compared to what I generally see.
Texas Zone 7b, USA