RE: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: RE: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • From: El Hutchison <eleanore@mymts.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:09:03 -0600

Thanks for the info, Griff.

I meant to rinse my seeds every day, but got side-tracked til this morning, so the seeds were soaking for 3 days.  Some did have "gunk" but most didn't.  I used little clear plastic cups, all sitting on an old cookie sheet, since I only collected 21 pods.  Good idea re stacking them after they're finished soaking.  I'll be planting them in 4 to 6" square pots, damping the soil slightly, then covering them all with ziplock bags, duct taped closed.

I'll be placing all the pots just off my deck beside my shade garden, where it gets lots of snow cover, and no foot traffic til spring.

I tried this method with various other perennials over the years, and it seems to work well.  The bag keeps slight moisture inside the container for a few weeks after all the snow melts.  It's the first time I've tried it with iris seeds though.

Donald, when I first saw your picture of your pots in the wheelbarrow, it looked like a very well organized seedpod.  ;)

Good luck with all those seeds, Elm.  Perhaps a roof garden isn't such an outlandish suggestion.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3