Re: HYB: seed pots
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed pots
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 07:21:59 -0500

I agree, Vicki - start with drying, then outdoors in the dirt. Only
start messing with these other methods if results are bad.

I think everybody in this group who experiments with soaking,
burrito'ing, peat mossing, etc started out trying Mother Nature and have
found that she isnt' really interested in germinating our iris seeds.
Used to get ~5% germination planting outdoors the "usual" way. Now it's
50 to 100%, depending most (my opinion) on quality of seeds.

I'm expecting poor germination out of this year's crop of seeds. Most
pods had low seed counts, many had a good number of only partially
developed seeds. I think I saw only one pod with those lovely football
shaped brown normal looking seeds. The rest are either lumpy, or
undeveloped. Some of the lumpy ones will germinate, but past experience
tells me that this is not likely to be a good germinating crop. But
I've seen 100% germination from a pod with only half a dozen horribly
misshapen seeds, so .....

Griff - cycles in weather? If they get long periods of mild chilling
and rain, then seed embryo begins to grow, then hard freeze (below
mid-20s), they are killed. That's what was keeping germination so low
here using the outdoor method. Chill requirement is met fastest at
~43oF. <3 months for TBs. <2 months for some TB crosses here. Goes
slower at colder temps. Erratic temps is killer.

<Maybe Mother Nature knows best? You might give it a try.
Vicki>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7