HYB: seed: germination
  • Subject: HYB: seed: germination
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 08:03:11 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,
Each year when I have a lot of seedlings, I get a couple of crosses that only sprout one or two seed (first year) from a cross with 25-50+ seed.  Sometimes, I get second year germination from these pots but more often I don't. Since we're using the photo list for this conversation I thought I'd include one of these seedlings--2155-01.  No additional seedlings from this one.
There will be a couple of crosses that don't sprout even one seedling.  These are most often among the orange or pink.
Any theories on why these seem fragile?  Is it the recessive factor or are they just weak lines?  Anything I can do to increase the chances of these sprouting, other than refrigeration?  I just don't have facilities for refrigeration or raising seedlings in a protected environment.
This crop has been grouped according to the color or pattern, so I should be able to spot any germination patterns that develop.
Betty W.