Re: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: seed pots [and more]
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:39:23 EST

I tried many different methods in my decades of working with arils and arilbreds, including the one Elm described.  Eventually, I settled on slicing only those seeds that did not germinate after going through the non-invasive stratification process that removes the chemical germination inhibitors and makes use of the temperature triggers.

I'll post a few photos of the key steps.  The first shows rehydration (a step that can be skipped if working with freshly harvested seeds.  In this photo, the viable seeds have sunk to the bottom of the glass while the chaff is still floating on top.  Some types will be rehydrated after soaking for a day, some take several days.  If the next step is to be direct planting, additional soaking time has been shown to be beneficial.  When the next step is stratification, I have not noticed any advantage in soaking the seeds longer.

Sharon McAllister