Re: AB: another sdlg
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: AB: another sdlg
  • From: Eleanor Hutchison <eleanore@mymts.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:16:48 -0600

Another beauty, Donald!

El

Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:14 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] AB: another sdlg

Another seedling derived from an unbalanced chromosome set parent. The
cross here is (ROYAL TARA x DESERT MOONLIGHT) X (LIGHTS OF ARABIA x DESERT
EMBROIDERY #1). The form is what I call rectangular. I grow several
acquired introduced cultivars that have that form, but none of the AB
parents involved here have it. It's bloom effect is much more aril than the
photo indicates, but the plant growth is not. It also had a pronounced
silky sheen which the camera didn't catch at all. Didn't have pollen and
made no effort to set a pod as far as I could tell. The plant growth prior
to bloom made me think it was going to be a quarterbred. It may be, but the
bloom didn't fit the category very well. It has a pod sibling which didn't
bloom. The plant on that one looks more aril-like. I'm anxious to see the
comparison. Not too often a cross like this yields more than a single
plant.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA