Re: Re: Hardness of PCI in the USA

From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>

PCI are also grown in California, both as native wildflowers and in gardens
as hybrids. The Coastal mountains and the Sierra Nevada foothills contain
native wild flowers. The Central Valley can grow selected hybrids.  I have
about 70 cultivars that I grow in my 1100 foot elevation Sierra Nevada
foothill garden. In my 3 year old experiment for Valley tolerant varieties,
I have killed about 35 cultivars so far.

It is my understanding that the basis for saying that PCI will not grow in
most of the USA is experience. PCIs are pretty so a number of people have
tried them in a variety of climates with a variety of TLC. Results have been
so poor that "conventional" wisdom is that trying to grow them is not worth
the effort. I am trying to develop a descriptive model about where PCIs can
be grown. I suspect it will be at least a year to two before I have a
working model.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden,
El Dorado Hills, CA      USDA zone 9