Re: (Gerry) Naming the iris

> Is there any restriction on use of proper names, particularly
> copyrighted or patented names? I wonder about Harry Potter?

Here's the roolz (April 2000):
	Names should follow the rules established by the
International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants.
Rules are subject to change, but at the present time the
following names will not be permitted:

	a.	Names of living persons without their
written consent, or names of recently (10 years) deceased
persons without permission of next of kin or other authority.

	b.	Personal names containing the following forms
of address or their equivalent in another language: Mr., Mrs., Miss, Ms.

	c.	Names including symbols, numerals, non-essential
punctuation or abbreviations.

	d.	Names beginning with the articles "a" or "the"
or their equivalent in other languages unless required by linguistic

	e.	Names in Latin or in latinized form:

	f.	Slight variation of a previously registered name.

	g.	Names in excess of three words, ten syllables, or thirty letters.

	h.	Names containing the word "iris" or "flag"
or the species name of any recognized species of Iris, or
formed wholly by recombining parts of the parental species names.

	i.	Names containing the hybridizers name in possessive form.

	j.	Names which exaggerate or may become inaccurate
(e.g. I leaviest Lace, Tallest Black), or which are composed solely
of adjectives which could he construed as a simple description
(e.g. Pale Blue, Ruffled).

	k.	Names translated from the original language; they
should be transliterated as necessary.

So, AIS does not rule out copyrighted names, but the lawyers of the
copyright holders might complain.

You could follow Bill Maryott's example and find a real person
named Harry Potter and get his consent. (He did that for a
coffee-colored iris he wanted to call Juan Valdez.)

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details