Re: SPEC: Iris bloudowii

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPEC: Iris bloudowii
  • From: "Juri Pirogov" <jukpi@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 01:53:35 +0300

> << Iris bloudowii
>  May 9, 2001 >>
>      Is that normal bloom time over there?  I have thought that conditions
> would still be quite cold over there at that time of May.

Mark,
I think, yes. Iris reticulata and Anemone blanda was April, 21. Earliest
pumila started May,8  and finished about May,20. TBs was June,12-30.

<<The were in last years SIGNA seed exchange. I had several sprout.
They are now dormant (or maybe dead?). If anyone has advice for
growing them in Northern California I'd welcome it. A Guide to
Species Iris says they like dry winters (which we don't have). Do
they want wet summers? They are supposed to be native to
mountainous areas.
Ken Walker>>

Ken,
this specie is the most adoptable of Psammiris. It can bloom and produce
seeds even behind a polar circle. In my garden it grow at the same bed where
TBs and pumilas grow. It starts early and go dormant in the August. Leaves
die completely and the plant disappears until spring. Snow cower is until
mid April, but ground under snow remains unfrozen some year.
My plants are only 5" high, so some doubts, is it Iris bloudowii, have
appeared.
I. bloudowii is mostly a plant of mountainous meadows and may have 22 or 26
ch. I think a winter should not be dry, but don't know how it will be doing
after freeze-thaw cycle.

<<But I am not sure how to pronounce your name. Russian names can be
transliterated and translated into English in many different ways.
Should it be "Yuri," or "Zhuri,"or "Dzhuri"?

Gerry  (Dzherri)>>

Gerry,
thank you. It should be "Yuryy" where first  and third Y as in "You" and
second as in "early".

Iouri (as written in my pass) and
Yuriy (as written in driver's license)  :-)))

Monitoring Service trial