Florida Freezes.

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Florida Freezes.
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:42:42 EST

irisgirl@attbi.com writes:

<< I always thought of Florida as being nomally free of freezes, >>

     Most of Florida is subject to freezes, but the frequency and severity
decreases as one goes farther south.  Freezes can occur in Miami, but are
extremely rare that far down.  Here, they are to be expected where I am,
about 100 miles north of Tampa, and about 20 miles southwest of Ocala.
     Topography and air currents also contribute to our freezes.  I am in a
range of low rolling hills, and these hills are colder at night.  Also,
during cooler weather, the air currents come off the Gulf of Mexico, which
makes our evening temperature drop fast, then at dusk, the wind dies, setting
up for radiational cooling.  We can get a freeze when nobody else does.
     There is a good side to this, because plants like Redbuds, Dogwoods,
Holly, and even some types of Hosta will grow here.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.

Monitoring Service trial