Re: TB: Mart Iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Mart Iris
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:11:19 -0700

Just wondering, has anyone actually gotten 'Prissy Miss' from a "Mart" iris
packaged labelled with that name?   I've bought it a few times, and have no
pink platns to show for it at all.  I have one peachy pink BB, but I'm
pretty sure it came from another source.  Seems to me that the brokers just
grab what ever is somewhat close in color to fill the quota, and use the
same old packaging year after year, so some of them are correct, but often
they aren't.  Sometimes they aren't even close.

I've bought a few over the years, and gotten some nice plants, but I regret
to admit that I never kept proper track of what was supposed to be what.  I
have most of the old packages, so can figure some out, but mostly I do not
have plants that match the packages, so I don't have a clue what they were
"supposed" to be.  This year Walmart and Home Depot in our area (Belen,
Albuquerque, etc. in New Mexico) have obviously gotten plants from the same
brokers (same packages, same names, just with Walmart printed on one and
Home Depot on the other).  Walmart in Belen has 19 cultivars (don't have
the list handy now, but some old stand-bys, and some new).  Home Depot has
only half as many, but the same names.  It's tempting to buy some of
everything and see what comes up, and if the Home Depot plants came from
the same batches as the Wal Mart plants.  They're cheap enough, and most
actually seem fairly healthy this year.

Last fall they had a smaller batch come in, and I bought a package of 4
"Dover Beach" for something like three dollars.  Figured what the heck, and
they grew immediately and like crazy.  I'm really curious to see what they
really are.  Bought some I. pallida variegated the same way, but they
haven't done quite so well (all are alive though).  Funny to be able to get
4 for 3 dollars, and they can be 1 for as much as 20 dollars at some price
gouging mail order novelty nursery (who probably got them from the same
place as did Wal Mart).

Fun if you like surprises,