Re: "First Snowfall" & other ghosts

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: "First Snowfall" & other ghosts
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:13:48 -0500

Chris, the photo and your description reminds me a lot of ENGLISH
COTTAGE.  It has never rebloomed for me & spring bloom is often knocked
out by late freezes, the blooms have very poor substance, tends to be
short, low on bud count, but it is still a favorite when it blooms
well.  Lovely, big, soft, fragrant blooms, & fun to watch the plicata
buds become ghostly blooms.  Plus it's one of those 'ignore me' irises
that will tolerate all kinds of abuse, tho I'm sure it blooms better
with care.

Your photo shows a bit darker plicata markings than my ENGLISH COTTAGE
usually has, plus the form is a little different than I remember.

The intensity of the plicata pigment seems to vary a lot in my garden
depending on weather.  I remember being very startled one year when
LACED COTTEN blooms all were plicata marked, at least when they first
opened.  It was unusually cool, cloudy, and wet for late season bloom
that year.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
Updates on migrant whooping cranes: