Re: Plicatas & Luminatas

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Plicatas & Luminatas
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:36:34 -0700

Here is what got the luminata thread started.  I was going through catalogs
and found plants listed as luminatas that to me were straight up plicatas,
and visa versa.  Now, if anyone wants to indulge me, I just went through a
catalog (no name given, but an industrious person can probably figure it
out) and came up with two lists, one as plicatas, and one as luminatas.
However, my two lists often didn't match the classification in the catalog.
Below I've listed them as grouped in the catalog.  After each name is what
I would call it (based on what I can see in the photos, or sometimes with
my experience with the cultivar).  I don't know if these are listed in
their respective catagories as registered, or just as the particular
nursery classes them (I would asume the former).  Some might be
combinations of plicata and luminata, and I don't count on my ability to
recognize those.

Now can somebody tell me if I'm smokin' dope here?

Aladdin's Wish      luminata
Apache Rose         luminata
Bengal Tiger        plicata
Clarence            luminata
Color Carnival      plicata
Comfort Zone        plicata (maybe combo.?)
Eye Magic      plicata
Fancy Friends       luminata
Flights of Fancy         luminata
Gnu Rayz       plicata
Hold that Tiger          plicata
Kid Gloves          combination
Kinship             luminata
Lets be friends          luminata (maybe combo.?)
Los Coyotes         plicata
Marquita       plicata
Mind Reader         luminata
Moonlit Sea         luminata
Navajo              plicata
Pagan Gold          neither, but with gold veining on paler ground (pattern
like plicata)
Pleased as Punch         luminata
Rainbow Tour        plicata (maybe combo.?)
Shine on Thru       luminata
Spirit World        luminata
Tall Dark Stranger  luminata (maybe combo.?)
Test Pattern        luminata
Tiger Shark         plicata
Understudy          luminata
Vibrations          luminata
Wine Dynasty        plicata (maybe combo.?)

AS  PLICATAS  (not going to list all the plicatas here, just the luminatas,
several looked like plicata near the hafts, and maybe luminata at the edge,
but I couldn't tell from the photos, so I didn't list them)

Beyond              luminata
Burgundy Brown      plicata (combination?)
Caramba             luminata
Chuckles       plicata (combination?)
Golden Gleam        combination
Indiscreet          combination
Joseph's Mantle          combination
Pshaw               luminata (combination?)
Victorian Viel      luminata (combination?)

AS  AMOENAS (obviously they can be an amoena with luminata coloration; lots
of the amoenas are plicatas too, not listed)

Superlation         luminata

AS  BICOLORS   (same comment as amoenas)

Conjuration         combination
Cycles              combination
Dream Touch         combination
Honky Tonk Blues    combination
Step Beyond         luminata (combination?)

AS  BICOLORS   (same comment as amoenas)

Boogie Woogie       combination
Willie Bill         luminata

AS  SELVES (same comment as amoenas; and the same comment can be made for
neglectas, blends, etc.)

Aribi Pasha         luminata (combination?)

Going through the lists, I find a lot of plants under several catagories
that I would put elsewhere, especially in bitones, bicolors, and blends.