RE: best catalogs for pictures

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] best catalogs for pictures
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:54:05 -0800

To paraphrase: "Progress is in the eye of the beholder." I have a nice collection of both color and print catalogs that I intend to keep as long as I am active in irises. However, since I am computer oriented, I far prefer iris web sites to iris catalogs. SWAGing says there will be about 2000 color iris images in all commercial iris catalogs for 2004. A second SWAG says that 90% of those will also be on a web site. In 5 to 10 years, 99% of all current year introductions will be on a web site.

The question about losing all if the web page bill is not paid is somewhat challenging to answer. A web site is simply a set of files containing some words and images with instructions for how to display the information. The files are on a computer connected to the internet as a host. For my site, I have a complete set of all the files that compromise my site on my non-host computer. I downloaded those files to a host computer. Anyone can download to their computer all of those files on the host.  If the host deletes all of my site files, the only thing that is lost is the ability of someone else to view and/or download those files. My files and any copies that were made prior to the deletion still exist. If you save an image from a web site, that image in now on your computer and it only gets deleted if you do the deletion.

I also estimate that 5 to 10 years will eliminate current dial up speeds. Of course by then, we will probably consider DSL speeds to be  unacceptably slow. :)

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762