RE: Re: HYB: seedlings

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: seedlings
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:17:16 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Mann [mailto:lmann@volfirst.net]
Friday, February 27, 2004 12:00 PM
To: iris photos
Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: seedlings

>Misery loves company - good to see that at least one of your crosses
>refused to germinate.  Are you going to hold them over to see if they
>need two years to germinate?

>That's the one big drawback to planting directly in the ground - what to
>do about delayed germinants.

 I believe that in our climate we don’t get much delayed germination.  The seedlings that are there now will get to grow for two years. Of course, I will have to eliminate the poorer ones next year to make more room for the better ones.  Any little seedlings showing up after this spring will be treated as weeds.  When the bed is dug in the summer of 2006, it will be solarized for about a month, and in our hot September sun, any remaining seeds should be killed.

            Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links