Re: HYB: Seed planting

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: Seed planting
  • From: bdavis3738@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:45:40 EST

Good Morning Francelle and everyone else,

Thanks for your thoughts on iris seedlings. I was afraid to plant the seeds directly outdoors since we can get down to -15F typically in the winter. I planted all of my seeds indoors and put the containers under grow lights. I was worried about schock during transplanting so I tried starting them in peet pellets. Once they sprouted. I planted the pellet and seedling in a larger pot and moved it into direct sunlight, when we have it. The ones that have sprouted seem to like it.  Most still haven't sprouted however. I plan to move the pallets of seeds outside once things warm up a bit.

Space is very limited here at the house. I don't think Carol wil llike it if I did up any more of the yard. Ha Ha. Some friends of ours who have an iris and daylily farm nearby have graciously offered me room to put my seedlings on their place. I hope they do well and are worth the effort. We'll see. It is a fun process though so I guess that is worth the effort right there.

Have a good weekend

Brian Davis
Champaign, Illinois
Zone 6