Re: Re: Favorite Schreiner Seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Favorite Schreiner Seedling
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:39:22 -0500

One of the advantages of being out of the official saddle of "Judge" is that I can "score" on an "I like it" basis, rather than on points.
I have been studying the *Handbook for Judges and Show Officials,* but to be perfectly honest, the only time those numbers ever really got used happened when I was judging a show with two other judges.  The category had two specimens of superior but so nearly equal quality it was almost impossible to choose between them.
What did we do?  The Judge-in-training who was following along with us carried the *Handbook* in her hand.  We laid it on the table and using the book went over every possible aspect of those two perfect specimens.  It boiled down to an agreement among the three of us on ONE point difference on which got blue, which got red.
Frankly, I'd just as soon have given both of them blue.  I think we were all sweating by the time we left that table.  That was hard, hard work.
The "I like it" approach is easier and a lot more fun.
Neil Mogensen  z  7  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links