HYB:Umbrata pattern

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos]HYB:Umbrata pattern
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:09:31 -0500

Betty, in light of Chuck Chapman's good suggestion of looking through Tempo Two's catalog to see the many variations both of I(s) and of Umbrata, plus the combination of both two combined, I'd hazard a guess that your seedling has a very similar expression of the Umbrata spot the ROMANTIC EVENING seedling I posted has.  Since we are dealing with a dominant trait, one or the other parent of the seedling would have to have been one showing the Umbrata spot unless it were hidden behind the dominant "I" that is present in the most common whites, yellows, pinks, etc.

Do either of the parents have a bicolor effect with the darker fall color only on the upper surface?

The reason I mentioned RE as one parent of the one I posted was that RE is a conspicuous demonstration of a very solid Umbrata spot pattern leaving a very narrow corona edge of the standard's color, or a color close to it.  RE also appears to carry one dose of the I(s) Dominant amoena, but this is hidden by an anthocyanin strongly expressed that I(s) does not seem to affect.  Many of RE's seedlings do show amoena characteristics, however.  In one cross with a variety the pedigree of which shows no possible source of I(s), but which displays what appears to my eye a one-dose level of the bitone effect typical of many one-dose dominant amoena factor cv's gave twelve seedlings with the distribution like this:

--one amoena with nearly white orchid-tinted standards
--ten bitones rather like the mama
--one dark violet self

This suggests the sort of results one would expect from a cross between two one-dose--I(s), i(s), i(s), i(s)--parents.  (Isn't that "shorthand" genetic description using I(s) confusing?  One can see why I say "one-dose" instead of writing that out.)

In the cross that produced POWER WOMAN, of (Swingtown X Romantic Evening), about half the seedlings were bitone, half were not.  Also, a majority showed some degree of the Umbrata spot expressed.  Power Woman, almost a self, does have it, but does not seem to have the I(s), judging from the seedlings from it.

In addition, the yellow gene that gives a flush in the base of the standards, in the style arms to a degree, and heavily on the hafts of the falls, when combined with rich violet tend to give a dark effect rather than a blended result.  Chuck Chapman has referred to this in one of his posts a week or more ago too, as I recall.

All this can get really difficult to interpret, with so many intersection and phenotypically interacting factors, such as Dominant reduced anthocyanin "I" covering up both the other two anthocyanin factors.  One's eyes glaze.

I suppose it may be possible your seedling may have its pattern due to a yellow underlying flush in the upper standard (that is also present in the seedling I showed), but the effect tends to be blackish, rather than rich violet.  Your seedling seems to have the richer violet color rather than the blackish sheen.

Neil Mogensen  z  7  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links