Re: HYB:Umbrata pattern

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos]HYB:Umbrata pattern
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:34:25 -0500

The very dark seedling from (Silverado x Latin Lady) ivery likely has an Umbrata spot type, even though with the very dark color that may not be obvious.  Silverado has a complex ancestry, one wing of which is from the Schreiner blacks, so the anthocyanin intensifier probably derived from *I. aphylla* in the remote foundation of the black's pedigrees appears to be present in the seedling from your description.  This would make the Umbrata spot difficult to discern.

Latin Lady, judging both by the description in its registration data and from the parentage from (Latin Lover X pink amoena et al.) seedlings, is almost certainly one expressing the Umbrata spot, as does its pod parent, Latin Lover.

This line stretches back through to WINE AND ROSES, which, although not showing in the registration data, traces back both to Hall's pinks and to crosses Hall made involving SHAH JEHAN and EXTRAVAGANZA, according to information received from Keith Keppel which he obtained from correspondence with Hall.

Those great historics definitely are examples of the overlay pattern on the fall we have been calling "Umbrata" and "Umbrata spot."

I believe that this should give the historic trail of the dominant factor if it is, indeed, present.  The way to tell whether the Umbrata spot is present is to compare the underside and topside of the fall.  If the darker fall pattern is present on the upper surface, especially if the typical corona of color that <does> match the reverse side is also present, you have an expression of the Umbrata spot.  That corona may not be present at all, or it can vary quite a bit in width, but usually is present and is one of the identifying conditons.  I'm not aware of any other genetic pattern that produces this except some plicata alleles.

I think it likely that the Umbrata spot and plicata alleles can both be present and expressed, also, but that is another question for another time.

Neil Mogensen   z  7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links