Re: HYB:Umbrata pattern

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos]HYB:Umbrata pattern
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:00:49 -0500

I am not aware of anything of that sort, Bill, but who knows?  With our iris genetics already complex, new alleles crop up frequently, and new species are getting stirred into the mix.

Keppel is introducing a seedling from and open pollenated *I. astrachanica* KALMIKIJ X a table iris, of table height.  The little cutie is diploid, but that never stopped anyone in the past from jumping the ones they chose up to the tetraploid level.  What are we going to call THAT pattern?  It certainly isn't the same as the vein-colored "butterfly wing" *I. variegata* derivitives.

The outside of falls never seem to have anything distinctive about them.  The central, thick-fleshed area is green, with the fall expressing the self colors (which are also those showing in Dominant amoenas in the fall petal) but never any of the other interesting things.  Plicatas show, as do some yellow-white combinations, where the underside (actually outside, in bud) of the fall and the outside of the standards are yellow, the other surface of both is white.  Those, I suppose, could be described as "distinctive" characteristics, but I've never seen any anthocyanin patterns of that nature.  Keppel's INSIDE TRACK probably has pretty solid underside of the fall, matching the outside of the standards, but the green-supporting central-base of the fall prevents it from having a "solid" appearance.

Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Links