Re: HYB:Umbrata pattern

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: HYB:Umbrata pattern
  • From: Phantomfyre phantomfyre@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:09:21 -0800 (PST)

Neil wrote:
"The outside of falls never seem to have anything distinctive about
them.  The central, thick-fleshed area is green, with the fall
expressing the self colors (which are also those showing in Dominant
amoenas in the fall petal) but never any of the other interesting
things.  Plicatas show, as do some yellow-white combinations, where
the underside (actually outside, in bud) of the fall and the outside
of the standards are yellow, the other surface of both is white.
Those, I suppose, could be described as "distinctive"
characteristics, but I've never seen any anthocyanin patterns of that
nature."

I have been reading this thread *trying* to make sense of it, but
mostly just making my eyes cross. <G> After I read this, I remembered
a photo I took in 2003 of a historic Noid that I call "Wabash
Wanna-be." It's a ringer for WABASH, except that it's too tall and
the form is a bit nicer than the real WABASH. And it's not BRIGHT
HOUR, either, because my Noid has slight PBF...

Anyway, I took this photo because the coloring on the underside of
the fall seemed weird to me, but still being an iris newbie, I could
be wrong about that. The top of the fall is solid purple with a white
rim. There appear to be some areas that are darker/more saturated
purple. (I can't remember if that was evident to the eye in person or
not...) The underside looks unevenly washed with white. Some of the
purple made it through in places - sort of - where the top of the
fall is darker.

Is this "normal?" Or is this something different? Does it relate to
umbratas and spots at all?

Learning - slowly but surely!
Diana Williams
NE Ohio, zone 5b

P.S. For some reason, Yahoo will only let me attach 1 photo to this
message, so I'll send the photo of the bloom separately.

http://my.yahoo.com