Re: CULT: borers and winter foliage

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: CULT: borers and winter foliage
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:35:38 -0000

Roundup is a systemic insecticide. It is absorbed by the leaves and
then poisons what eats the leaves. It has no effect on eggs and it
would not have its effect until after the boarers have hatched and
started feeding. Dormant oil spray, such as used in fruit trees, would
be  a good early spray to use and apparently it can be quite effective
with boarer. It works by covering the eggs with a thin film of oil.
this stops the egg from getting fresh air and the egg smothers. It is
one of the oldest method of killing garden pests and still used
extensively. And relatively safe for everything else.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
> Have you burned yet?  Do you burn more than once?
> I was planning on burning after Roundup, but at the rate the wet weather
> & breezes are going, may have to burn first.
> <The eggs are laid on green folliage which usually dies back during the
> winter.
>                    They may then be on the soil. That is why torching
> and scorching the surface of the
>                    ground is a good idea. ... Jim Ennenga>
> --

Yahoo! Groups Links