TB: Identification of tall bearded iris needed

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: Identification of tall bearded iris needed
  • From: "Steve Mahlberg" s_j_mahlberg@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:55:27 -0000

Hello. I have opened a folder and will upload pictues soon. I was
unable to do so at this very moment.
I have a historic iris. I have been growing this variety for about
15 years now. It is a tall bearded. I don't remeber the exact
height, but it was tall enough to be a TB.
It is very similar to Lent A Williamson, as are many historics.
This TB has proven very pod fertile, but is almost certainly pollen
sterile. I have attempted to self pollinate and pollinate other
varieties with no success. I bring this up because I have read that
Lent A Williamson is reportedly pollen fertile.
I attempted a number of cross pollinations to this TB and have had a
few nice pods result. I am still awaiting seedlings from those
crosses.
This particlar TB has 3 - 4 buds per plant.
The flowers are certainly historic in appearance.
I know there are many TB's that look similar, but perhaps someone
with more experience can help identify this iris or have a better
idea based on seeing it.
I will post pics as soon as I am able or figure out why I can't
upload pics.
I have checked through many sources and the closest in flower size
and coloration that I have found is Lent A Williamson.
Thanks to anyone with any help.
Steve