Re: TB: Identification of tall bearded iris needed

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Identification of tall bearded iris needed
  • From: "Steve Mahlberg" s_j_mahlberg@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:37:05 -0000

I won't give up anytime soon. I have only recently jumped into the
iris hybridizing fun.
I guess my statement was slightly misworded.
I meant to say that I self pollinated my "Lent A Williamson" look
alike and attempted cross pollinating other varieties with pollen
from my "L.A.W." look alike and non of the crosses using this
variety were successful at this time. However pollinating my "LAW"
look alike with a different cultivar resulted in very large pods
with many seeds (germination awaiting)
I am not sure how many crosses one needs to attempt with a given
variety to be certain, or fairly so of fertility either way. I would
make an educated guess, knowing the pod fertility of this and other
cultivars I attempted pollinating with the "LAW" look alike iris'
pollen. I am fairly certain my cultivar is pollen sterile, that was
why i mentioned reading about "Lent A Williamson" being a successful
pollen donar. But, based on your comment below, I guess I still
shouldn't rule out the possibility that my cultivar could very well
be "Lent A Williamson".
thanks for the tip...
looking forward to seedlings from my cross attempt.
Steve M.  -- N.E. MN zone 4b on the lake shore -- brrrrr....