Re: (no subject)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] (no subject)
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:07:11 -0800 (PST)

When the first iris was discovered???

Certainly manís relationship with Iris goes back to as far as our history records. Christ referred to the lilies of the field, a translation that probably should have been Iris since lilies donít grow in the area of which he was speaking. The Egyptions have pictures of Iris on their tombs so I guess the first recorded Iris may be around 10,000 years. The Greeks had a Godesss named Iris after the rainbow, but this is also their word we use for Iris. If you want to talk of scientific names, modern taxonomic names begin with Linneaus in 1758, but there were many monks who wrote herbals before that that used the name Iris.

kpb9012@wmconnect.com wrote:
Does anyone know when the first iris was discovert ????????????

                                                Karl

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada