Re: Re: TB: Identification of tall bearded iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Identification of tall bearded iris
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:22:42 -0500

Betty, I will second your suggestion.  It has been my experience that regardless how varied color, form, branching and a host of other characteristics can be, the single most constant feature of a bearded iris is in the exact pattern of haft marks.  Your mention of the beard hairs adds to this tool for confirming or discarding a suspected identification of an unknown.
Those haft markings seem to be as consistent and unique as fingerprints in a human.
The comparison of the many diploid--and early tetraploid--amoenas, for example, can be extremely difficult.  The strategy you describe is a sure-fire way to say "yes" or "no" to a possible name.
The problem is, just how certain is the referenced iris's identity?  I continue to hear stories of someone making several attempts to secure a particular historic and end up with three or more distinctly different clones.  Which one is the authentic one?
From a number of comments made over the past few years, I've gotten the impression that Rick Tasco and Roger Duncan at Superstition Gardens and Phil Edinger are perhaps as reliable soures of authentic stock or information as can be had. I'm sure there are others members of this list who could name others who from their experience are similarly reliable.
I am sure most of the suppliers of historics have made considerable effort to authenticate the identities of their stock.  At least I should hope so!
Neil Mogensen   z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

Web Bug from http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1109003026611325
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=694713937